Being a little selfish is a healthy thing. If you’re like most people, you spend a great deal of time taking care of the needs of others before taking care of your own. Neglecting self-care is often the default position in a busy world, but the consequences can be serious. To strengthen your health and well-being, add these simple self-care practices to your daily routine. It will be easier than you think.
Plus, experts share that the happiest and most successful people regularly focus on self-care!
Try these simple self-care strategies today:
- Add self-care in your schedule. It’s not enough to occasionally stop your busy lifestyle and take a walk or indulge in a hot bath. Self-care is an ongoing process. Just as you reserve time in your schedule for other appointments, set aside time to take care of yourself, too.
- Start with something easy and simple to add. It’s important to adopt self-care habits that you can enjoy on a regular basis. They’ll help you avoid burnout, increase your productivity, and allow you to enjoy life.
- Enjoy your favorite hobby or explore new ones. Whether you love to experiment with new recipes, photography, hiking, or paint pictures of sunsets, engaging in your favorite activities are a vital part of self-care. Hobbies and activities that you already enjoy are easy to select and put into practice. Exploring new ones are fun and exciting.
- You just have to find or create room in your schedule to do them. This is an important step and shows your commitment to yourself for self-care.
- Make note of the compliments you receive. You can enjoy this self-care practice even as you work or run errands! Start taking notes of the compliments you receive. You can keep them in a journal, diary, or online folder.
- Your compliment folder can also include emails, notes, thank you cards, and other things that make you smile.
- This self-care practice can help you fight negative thoughts. Compliments can serve as reminders that you matter, your existence is important, and someone appreciates you.
- Remove clutter. Whether you decide to declutter your closet or clean out the fridge, removing clutter will uplift you. Clutter can drain you physically and mentally. It can also make you unhappy as you try to move through your day.
- Eliminate the things that no longer serve you. For example, if you’re keeping clothes in your closet that you haven’t worn in a long time, donate them. Over time, replace them with new clothes that reflect your attitude.
- Do one selfish act. Have a guilty pleasure. Although living selfishly all day isn’t recommended, doing at least one selfish act that makes you happy does wonders. You can enjoy just that one thing without feeling guilty about it!
- You’re important too. If you struggle with self-care, it’s often because you spend all of your energy and time taking care of others. There’s nothing left in your well for yourself. By taking the time to do one selfish act, such as reading your favorite book, ignoring a boring phone call, or getting on a travel or vacation website, you’ll be restoring your own sense of importance.
Self-care often takes a backseat to work, family, and other obligations. However, without stopping to take care of your mind and body, you’re at risk of burning out and suffering from serious health issues. Start making time for your self-care practices today!